Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mango Party

I've just realised that I'm beginning to form opinions of authors in my mind, based on where they originate. The below is pure generalisation and I don't particularly mean it.

Magical Realism: South American origins (Allende, Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
Vampires: Americans but drifting to the Nordic writers
Road Trips: Americans
Opportunistic Economic Sociobabble: Ben Mezrich
The Stupidity of Society, in a whimsical fashion: Indian writers
Lead character as sociopaths: Nordic writers

In any case, I just finished A Case Full of Exploding Mangoes, by Mohammed Hanif.



The book was fine, whimsical, as mentioned. The books I've read by authors from the Indian/Pakistani region of late seem to lean towards being a mix of Memoirs of a Geisha, with it's fact/fiction style, and the mystical realism of Isabel Allende. It wasn't a waste of time but it certainly didn't change my life. The latest book, on the other hand, is a struggle to put down (damn work).

No comments: