Monday, June 08, 2009

For Our Health

My friends and I often discuss things in the news. Here’s an example of us discussing something newsworthy from the BBC. It’s taken from a chat on an instant messaging service, so if you’re not a dab hand at that, it could be complex to follow. I love the way we do the math(s).

SF: Professor Roger Corder, author of The Red Wine Diet, would disagree.
"Our research identified a group of chemicals called procyanadins which are polyphenols, and the key component in terms of protecting from heart disease."

Polyphenols, such as the antioxidant resveratrol, are found in the skins of red wine grapes.

"In high doses it does seem to enhance the lifespan of mice. But," he adds crucially, "you need huge doses."

In humans, it equates to thousands of litres of wine.

SF: for our health!
Bel: thousands of litres!
SF: yay!
Bel: i think we can do that
SF: I think we probably have, lol
Bel: what time period do you need to do that in?
SF: doesn't say but I'll assume a lifetime
Bel: oh that’s way easy
SF: so theoretically, a bottle a day over 6 years would qualify
SF: I reckon I'm there
SF: adjusting for binge nights, etc
SF: wonder if puking means it doesn't count
Bel: probably not, but that doesn’t happen too often, just puts you back a few bottles

No comments: