Monday, December 14, 2009

My Stepford Life

This weekend has been hyperactive! On Friday I skipped out early to go for a drink with a couple of colleagues, before going to see Legally Blonde, the musical. Ever since then, my head has been filling my life with a backing bridge that goes "oh my god, oh my god, you guys". I wish I could comment more about the show, since I remember having fun, though thinking that the vocals could have been better. Sadly, the bottle of wine I had to myself before the show, and the three glasses I had during the show, left me a little addled. After the play, Riri, Kami and I all went for a drink with the other girls before meeting the Hubs and my sister at Belushi's. A clear indicator that my night was going to decline at the rate of knots. I wish I could describe the decline but all I remember is that the night ended in tears.

The Saturday was more positive... when it got started, that is. That would be about three in the afternoon, when I managed to get off the sofa (following breakfast on the sofa, made with love by the Hubs, who was an overactive DIY dynamo). Good thing though, since we were due at a cookery class at The Kitchen, Parson's Green. The menu that had been selected was a pumpkin and spinach tortellini, fisherman's pie, then mince pies. I had been hoping to learn to make pasta and shortcrust pastry from scratch, but the class was more of an assembly based class than a cookery class. Even so, I'd never tried to make tortellini or mince before, so it was a good experience. The mince pies were really nice - home made ones always are much better, though we were all horrified to discover the suet content. Having eaten and drunk our fill, we came home and attempted to watch the x-Factor finals, only to wake up at about midnight having missed the ending. UGH.

Sunday was much more effectual - for the first time in my life I tried my hand at DIY. The Hubs and I decided to try to paint our yet-to-be-used bedroom (or, specifically for today, the built-in furniture) ourselves. The whole venture is against my better judgement, but seems to have started well. Perhaps it won't all end in tears after all. Who would have thought it would be so complex though. There was sandpapering, Caulk filling, primer painting. Still another layer of primer to go before two more of oil based paint, then an actual colour. Jeez. Still, rather than watch the paint dry I baked some Christmas cookies, which I think I may give as gifts to the girls. Then it was time for the weekly Bistro le JamTam. Tonight it was samphire, crab, scallop and pasta sheets in a butter and sage sauce. We had this with a massive portion of Half Blood Prince, tuna-balls in a tomato sauce, and Duval Leroy. A delightful digestif of Freddie Stroma to follow. YUM. All in all a good weekend.

***
Update. While watching Harry Potter, I realised that Bonnie Wright sure gets around some, and how jealous am I!
***
Update II. How much hotter is Freddie Stroma now that I know he graduated with a 2:1 in Neuoscience from UCL.

No comments: