Sunday, February 21, 2010

Fireflies - Owl City

There are a lot of #1 singles I don't understand. Lets review 2010:

Lady Gaga: Bad Romance. Check.

Iyaz: Replay. Neutral. Exceptionally bland and uninteresting.

Owl City: Fireflies. I just don't understand why tracks that are this dull sell enough to get number 1. Number ten, maybe, five at best. The vocals put me straight to sleep and make me moderately suicidal (perhaps not the right day to have heard this for the first time). Then, when I was trying to find the perfect macaroon recipe, I heard this and realised how much better the song was then I'd realised. God bless you Kurt Schneider and Sam Tsui. Your wonderfulness is almost good enough to make me go to iTunes just so I can contribute to the propulsion of your talent up the charts.

For the sake of completeness, I thought I'd better mention Helping Haiti: Everybody Hurts. This is surely the charity single equivalent of James Blunt. I realise it's a sombre event and all, but that is not a song to inspire hope. Even if it is about hope. The Owl City version of Fireflies would have been better. Ugh, now I really am contemplating suicide, James Blunt does that. Time for some heavily refined sugar.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fireflies = K's ringtone