Saturday, February 20, 2010

You Can't Win Them All

Recently I've become obsessed with baking. It's not something I've ever been particularly good at, but it bothers me that I can't do a full dinner party because of my weakness in the desserts. Not to mention that the Hubs cunningly invited his team over for a Mad Hatters Tea Party. Ugh. Since then I've been trying to get my baking skills up to scratch. Sometimes, mainly with cupcakes, I can tick the box, but other times, it's a fat F.

Take a look.



What are those? SURELY you can tell it's a Victoria sponge surrounded by macaroons and peanut butter cupcakes?

I appear to have used a recipe for sponge fingers rather than the soft sponge I was aiming for. The macaroons in blue were overly almondy and didn't rise. I folded cream into them and called them whoopie pies. The ones in brown .. well. They tasted ok but still failed.

Not one to just accept failure, I tried the macaroons again.



Even worse.

At least I can still swing savoury food. This was Valentine's Day post-failures (place setting is the Hubs' job).



We had foie gras mousse on bread, mallard and potatoes with rosemary, spinach, squash and peppers. Luckily, we were too stuffed for dessert.

No comments: