Sunday, January 23, 2011

What Makes Britain

This article made me smile. Here are a selection of the things that the Indy had as being British.

Alcopops: Not saying that alcopops aren't a British thing, but I had a lot more alcopop experience in Asia. I have a really strange vivid memory of being at Takashimaya with my best friend, stuck for a bottle opener. We spent ages trying to work out how to get the damned things open, before someone made a muscle and opened it on their arm. A decade later, a friend showed me how the bottom of disposable lighters could double as a bottle opener, and it took me back to that moment, when I really could have used that knowledge.

In England we always used to talk about cider, by which I don't mean Magners, or Aspall (my preference). The talk was of getting wasted "on the swings", which more often than not involved White Lightning. The alternative was MD 20/20. Gross.

Apologising: Very English, indeed. Sorry.

Cagoules: Apparently the proper name for pac-a-mac, now so British that even Burberry do them. I predict a resurgence when Will and Kate marry (the syntax of this statement makes me think of Mary-Kate, Ashley).

Corner Shops: Not just a band with an annoying hit.

Crumpets: I think this was a poor choice. What about iced buns, chelsea buns, hot cross buns, or buns in general?

While on the subject of bread-type foods, what about cucumber sandwiches?

Readers Wives: I had never even heard of this till I moved to the UK. Does this exist elsewhere?

The article itself got me thinking and here two other things I would have had:
- Well-scripted, progressive, topical television sitcoms (now advancing to the US). Examples would be Cold Feet, Queer as Folk, the Book Group and, more recently, the In-Betweeners and Misfits.
- Chavs

I'm sure I could think of more ... what would you add?

1 comment:

An American Girl in London said...

-Perfecting the art of delivering the most pointed insult with a smile, so the recipient doesn't realize they just got yelled at until two minutes later.
-crunchy clothes - this comes as a direct result of not having a dryer
-a love of all things kylie and "Friends"