Thursday, June 11, 2009

Butter Me Up










This is a bit of a cheat post because I eat here a lot. l'entrecote is a gig with a gimmick. The gimmick is this: there is no menu. Well, actually there is, but not in terms of any real choice of main course. There are about seven wines, a load of desserts and drinks, but for mains you can have this:
Salad + steak + chips
Or this:
Salad + cheese + chips
for £20.

That's it.

What you cannot have is:
Butter with the bread
Oil with the bread
Mayonnaise with the chips
(I've never tried but I'd imagine) Ketchup with the chips
Sides

I always come away wondering if I had a good time or not. The problem is that it's one of the only places in the City where dinner for two is around £50. The food is really good. The salad comes with walnuts and a great tangy dressing (mustard tang, not citrus tang). The steak is silver served in two services, so it can't go cold on your plate, slathered in the mystery green sauce. The chips are skinny and generally good.

It's just the goddamn no-butter-with-bread and the way they stare you down when you ask why they're giving you a basket of dry bread. Gah.

Not somewhere to go if not feeling chilled.



***UPDATE***

Went again last night brought my own butter, and some spares to share with other tables. Apparently this was not funny.

2 comments:

An American Girl in London said...

can you bring in butter packets and mayo packs? if so i'm so there

JamTam said...

I know... I absolutely tries yesterday but it's surprisingly tricky. I might have to keep some at my desk. Butter will be tricky storage.

Fancy it? We could totally do this on singles night?